View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Find and move books to my reader in a tenth of the time it would take calibre to load.
Hmmm... From the debug log, calibre loads on my laptop in 4.36 seconds, I must admit to severe doubts that you are able to accomplish much in less than half a second.

Just a quick test, I looked for all the books that I own in the 1632 series.

Calibre: open calibre (4.36 seconds), click on search splat, type 1632 in series, hit okay. 26 results on screen in less than 0.1 of a second. Total ~5 seconds.

File Explorer: Opened D drive and browsed to the calibre libraries backup directory. ~3 seconds. No way to browse to the series so typed 1632 in the Windows search box. 20 seconds later, had 25 results. Total time ~23 seconds. Not sure why 1 book didn't show up -- I checked and it's had the series prepend. Please note my D drive is removable and not indexed or the search times would have be lower.

If I did not have the template for save to disk set to prepend the series, I would have been forced to click through multiple directories to find all the books since Eric Flint's who created the series is not the author of all the books -- I list 6 different primary authors and 11 secondary authors with 14 books listing two or more authors and would have had to remember the majority of those names.

If I had wanted to copy any of these books to my ereader,?

Calibre? Plug the ereader in, select the files that weren't already on it, right click, send to device, safely disconnect, reconnect and update metadata, no muss, no fuss.

Doing the same from File Explorer? No indication if the files on on the ereader, multiple directories to deal with. Update metadata and series info (important to those of us who have ereaders that will let us see the series information, sort on it and search on it)? Perhaps you would let me know how you handle that?

For me, calibre wins hands down for speed and convenience. Who really cares if you are not supposed to get your sticky fingers on its internal directory/file structure when you can export your library and create your own file and directory structure there. My purpose in owning an ereader is to read with it not to worry that directory structures aren't created in a way I think would look pretty/elegant.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote