View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #27187
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Just starting into Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather. So far none of the characters are terribly memorable or likable. We'll give it a few more chapters to see if I warm to them. I've had other books that started out slow (character-likability and plot-wise) and then grew into very good reads as time went on. I'm thinking "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven was like this. So was "The Codex" by Douglas Preston. Both of these almost got set aside in the first chapters, but after getting a bit farther in, I'm sure glad I stuck with them.

But then there were a few that started out with unlikable characters and continued that way all the way to the end. I wish I had set them aside, but continued on thinking they were supposed to be classic and they just had to improve (they didn't IMHO). "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke was like that for me, but others obviously disagree and liked it and rated it highly.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote