View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #56
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Good post on SFWA site Guest Post:

Really, Your Outline Does Not Have to Be Perfect

by Mary Robinette Kowal

http://www.sfwa.org/2012/07/guest-po...to-be-perfect/
Thanks for that Kenny. I like her take on the subject, and it's very timely for me. My first novel had absolutely no outline, when I started it I had absolutely no idea where it was going or even if it would go anywhere. My subsequent novels are all part of a bigger story that developed beyond and behind that first novel as I wrote it, so then I found I had a vague outline. For my second novel I knew where I wanted to end up and two points somewhere in the middle - but that was pretty much it. But now I'm trying to write what I hope to be the concluding novel and I am slowly realising that I need more direction - things will never come together sensibly unless I take more control over the events. I doubt if I will ever be able to work with something as detailed and specific - for example - as that suggested by the SnowFlake method, but that article's conclusion "After all, if all stories aren’t the same, there’s no reason they need to be written the same way. Vary your tools and techniques." is making more and more sense to me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote