View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
Wolf3
Connoisseur
Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wolf3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook 2, Kindle 3, iPad 2, iPod 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
the nook eink had a firmware update done a couple of months ago v1.5 part of that update came with darker text. I and many feel this screen of the nook eink is on par with Pearl Screen. If you have a Best Buy near your home go and take a look. I think you'll find the difference to be very very minimal.

the nook's eink screen's contrast is excellent.
Ironically I did just go to Best Buy today, and was coming in here to ask/talk about just this, as it was making no sense to me!

The Nook poster had a Nook Color and eInk Nook on it, and over the eInk model it had a "new and improved" label...so I'd been wondering if it actually was using a Pearl screen.

Because side by side with a Kindle 3, I was shocked that the Nook actually looked fine as near as I could tell...the blacks looked very dark, less gray than on my Kindle 2, and holding Nook/K3 side by side, I'm not sure I could tell the K3 has a technological edge...I mean I kind of feel like maybe I could tell, but then I'm EXPECTING to see it. Would be nice to have some comparison photos under home lighting conditions!

It's hard to tell under bright florescent lights, as the contrast on my Kindle 2 looked a LOT better under those conditions, while looking kind of murky and blurry and gray under the light I read by at night. I'm wondering if I had a Nook and K3 at home, there'd actually be be a noticeable difference.

Refresh speed was a lot slower on the Nook, but I don't know that that matters all THAT much to me. Interface with the touch screen felt clunky by comparison too, but then 99% of the time I'd just be using the hardware buttons on the side. (Mainly I just found it slower, and don't like the unnatural feeling way the interface gets split up between two different types of screens...just makes navigation feel weirder than on a Kindle, but then mostly you use these to read on, not to navigate around with.)

So...hmm. I wonder why Barnes & Noble hasn't switched to a Pearl? I wonder how they were able to make the last gen screen look so DARK if no one else can? I liked both fonts from the looks of it. For that matter I think I like the text options on the Kindle 3 better than the K2 also, and I can't explain why. It seemed like fonts on the K3 were larger somehow while not taking up more space...which makes no sense.

Played with the Nook Color too, and while I don't think I want one, there's no question it's well done for what it is. Screen definitely seems to be IPS, good viewing angles. Interface feels plenty fast, laid out pretty well. Wish it had the hardware forward/back buttons on the sides though like the eInk one, and I'd like some visual feedback on page changes...and artificial eInk like 'flash', a quick page swish, or something, but it feels like a real, slick product unlike some of the 'off brand' products in the same price range.

I thought the Sony readers actually looked WORSE than the eInk Nook's screen, despite having Pearl screens!...I assume because of the touch screen layer (that I don't even want). I would definitely pick out the Nook as having the more advanced screen if I didn't know, as...well the Sony ones looked more like my K2, and the Nook's text in store looked a heck of a lot like the K3...somehow.

Soooo I don't know. Honestly I suspect I might be happy with a Nook OR a Kindle 3 OR a Kindle DX! If B&N had just thrown in a Pearl screen update though, geez, I'd just go with it for sure, give them a shot. I think I would have gone with a Nook to begin with had it been out at the time I bought my K2. (Came out 6 months later I think.)

Last edited by Wolf3; 02-18-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Wolf3 is offline   Reply With Quote