View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #1
thumbstump
thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thumbstump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cool Kindle Intocable: extension to turn off touchscreen capability on Voyage

Hi all,

The whole reason I got the voyage over other Kindle e-readers is my preference for using them to turn pages over touching the screen. As I read, I tend to touch the screen all the time, accidentally, and it pretty much makes reading on the device untenable. Unfortunately, the Voyage uses both the touchscreen *and* the buttons to turn pages. It was unworkable.

I tried out the Kindle Untouchable extension (which was made in 2012 for the Kindle Touch) and it kind-of worked for the voyage, but only kind of.

Anyway, heavily borrowing from the author's original code, I reworked the extension to capitalize on the features of the Voyage. Using this hack, the buttons work as usual, but if you press and *hold* the 'previous page' button, it turns off the touchscreen ability. The buttons still work fine! And, if you see a word you need to look up, or a passage you need to highlight/annotate, you can just press and hold the button again to turn it back on.

In addition to it's exploiting the Voyage's extra buttons, it fixes a bug in the old extension: the way the old extension went forward or back a page was by sending a fake "touch" event to the device. The region this touch event "touched" usually lead to the device to advance (or go back) a page but if it happened to "click" on a link, it would follow the link. This extension, instead, sends a fake button click event that the device knows how to unambiguously interpret.

Use it with KUAL. The source code is in the extension.

PS: compiling X11 for the kindle cross compiler was a NIGHTMARE!!

[latest update: 10/24/16]
I provided a fix for the issue of intocable preventing the user from putting in the password after the screensaver comes on. It also adds a KUAL button to kill intocable, if the user wants to.
Attached Files
File Type: gz intocable-v2.0.tar.gz (6.9 KB, 803 views)

Last edited by thumbstump; 10-24-2016 at 02:24 AM. Reason: update to software
thumbstump is offline   Reply With Quote