Thread: About footnotes
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Milenski
Milenski began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook
About footnotes

Hello. I'm using calibre to convert .docx files to .epub. It's not a perfect software, but it's maybe the best free converting software. But i have a problem with footnotes. Sometimes i am converting books which have a huge amount of footnotes. I am talking about 700-800 footnotes. In Microsoft Word, every single chapter can have his own footnotes counter. But when i convert .docx to .epub, Calibre is not splitting footnotes for every single chapter and numbering them from 1 to 800 (if book contains 800 footnotes). Paper books usualy use different footnotes counter for every single chapter. Calibre convertor does not, atleast im not familiar if the program can do it. This leads to 2 problems:
1.Footnotes can have some big numbers - 673, 766, 800. It's a bit esthetical problem.
2.Sometimes footnote(s) can refer to another footnote(s) in the same book. And here comes the big problem. Although the ID link that Calibre creates for every single footnote is correct, the visual presentation is not because of the continuous footnote numbering. Footnote 766 in .epub can be 42 in paper book. And if text says to look to footnote 42 for more information, in .epub its actually 766. It is not impossible to fix this manualy by fixing the HTML code, but you can imagine at what cost.
So my question is: Is there an option, which can split footnotes for every single chapter when converting to .epub? If there is not, creating such an option from the creator of the program, will be a huge thing in my opinion.

Last edited by Milenski; 03-04-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Milenski is offline   Reply With Quote