View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Feels like it's been a good year, probably because I read a lot more than usual, but according to my trusty spreadsheet the average score is only slightly up.

I read a couple of books twice: The Old Man and the Sea and The Rest of Us Just Live Here. The former was good but it was more that it was a quick read and I wanted to refresh my memory before the book club discussion.

The following books were 9's or 10's:
  • Broken Homes (9) - PC Grant book 4, got me back into the series and into reading
  • I Capture the Castle (10) - just something about this I loved
  • Soot (9) - a library discovery
  • Last Night in Montreal (9) - earlier book by the author of Station Eleven
  • A Monster Calls (9) - heart-breaking but beautiful (also saw the movie, rare adaptation that's as good as the book)
  • The Rest of Us Just Live Here (9 on first read, 8 on 2nd) - the background players in an apocalypse story
  • Expecting Someone Taller (9) - objectively this is overrated but it's a personal comfort read so...
  • Much Ado About Nothing (10) - another comfort read but I think I can get away with saying this is obectively great

There were also quite a few 8s. I found I rated higher in general when I was reading more which speaks to me enjoying the activity itself. Which is a welcome return after a few years of feeling like I wasn't enjoying reading as much.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote