View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 AM   #5187
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I am beginning to wonder if Wishlists are part of the problem, for me, rather than part of the solution. Kind of like a nicotine patch. It might make me think I'm getting on top of the problem, but isn't actually breaking the addiction.

Adding things to a wishlist is better than just buying it there and then, but the problems arise when things go on sale. If they're on the list I sort of feel I should buy them when they're cheap, even if I have no immediate plan to read them. This means I'm just buying for the library and the indefinite future, which I think is unhelpful and unnecessary.
I bumped up against this exact problem a week or so ago. A book in my wishlist had gone down to $1.99, which ordinarily would be an automatic buy. But I stopped to think and decided it wasn't all that compelling a read and passed; I then took draconian cuts in my wishlist. What's left is probably never going to get all that cheap (mostly pricey agency non-fiction), so I think I'm safe.

I think the problem for me was similar to what you describe; I'd see an interesting book and automatically put it in my wishlist. Fine, since I wasn't buying it. But as you say, once a book was on my wishlist there was the momentum to convert it into a purchase if it got cheap. The problem was that putting it in the wishlist had been a reflex action and not the result of serious thought.

Quote:
I think I'm going to try to adopt issybird's suggestion, and read everything I buy this year, rather than just weighing the quantity of purchases against the quantity of reads. So far this year I'm 0 for 4.
Knock wood, but I'm having some success. I bought two books in January and I've finished one and started the second. The "I must read it in the near future" stricture has stayed my buying finger a few times already.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote