View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #299
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
It's not windows 8. PCs have gotten good enough that they already do way more than the average user needs. The average person only upgrades when their PC gets too slow from malware and OS rot. Tablet usage is cutting into PC usage, making upgrade even less of a priority.

I think right now, it is mostly businesses and gamers who look to upgrade their PCs on a regular basis.
So true. Since the time I stopped wanting to play the latest games at launch date, my PC just runs and runs and runs. The only maintenance I do is:

- Installing updates to Windows 7 (and this is an in-place upgrade from Vista)
- Run CCleaner now and again to remove temporary files
- Defragment my data disk

And that's basically all. The system is 5 years old now, and has had a few upgrades in 2011: Intel dual core E8500 -> Intel Quad Core Q8400, Raptor 74GB HDD -> 64 GB SSD, and nVidia 9600GT to GTX 560 Ti. It upgrades the PC from an upper middle-class 2007-2008 system to a (lower) middle-class 2010-2011 system. A few weeks ago, I added another hard drive, as the 1TB drive is finally getting full, thanks to me re-ripping all my music in FLAC.

It runs all games up until 2012 perfectly.

This system will retire in the configuration it is in now, and then go serve to run old games. (Where "old" is everything up until 2012.) This will probably take another 1-2 years though, if it doesn't break down. There are no new games on the near horizon or which I'd want or need a newer computer; the very first would probably be "Project Eternity" by Obsidian, slated for the end of 2014. I wouldn't be surprised if I wait half a year or even a year for the bugs to be fixed and the price to come down.

2015 will also see "Torment: Tides of Numenera", and "The Witcher 3", so, I'll probably get those in 2016 of 2017... and that's 3-4 years from now. And yes, all of them will be on GoG.com.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote