View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by farstar View Post
Hello, I am looking for reading scientific textbooks in pdf (I have many of them). After reading this forum, I have reached the conclusion that 6'' is not enough, and 10'' is best.

I am based in Europe, and there are very few possibilities yet (Irex DR 1000 S the only one, but expensive and with several pitfalls).

I have read about the entourage edge, and I believe it apparently is a good solution for me: 10'', not very expensive, and with two screens, the second one having android.

I have been thinking about being able to execute the code I could be reading from my textbooks (R, S-PLUS, Mathematica, Fortran, C++, ...), and I believe there could be a way out (I have read linux' android cannot natively run standard linux programs like R or Fortran):

use something like phonemypc (http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemy...eractlive.html) to control my home pc through the wifi at home (I believe the entourage edge has wifi, but not 3G yet): with the eink, read the textbook; with android, control my pc through phonemypc to run the code in R, Fortran, ...

There would only be missing a proper keyboard, but I guess that if I needed to type a lot, I could go to the proper PC, but for normal typing, I could use the virtual keyboard. And then I would have everything in a single platform.

Is this possible? My fear is that even though it is possible, a new machine like the entourage edge plus a layer of complexity on android (phonemypc) could fail in practice.

What do you think?
i think there's bluetooth/USB support for keyboard, but not sure.... waiting for a hands on video...

i was almost going for the K DX int'l until the Entourage Edge came out... eInk + secondary screen looks great, it says 7 days on eInk or 6 hours on LCD power-wise, which is enough for me to be a semi-replacement for my laptop/paper notebooks in college....

though its preordering at $490 + $20 shipping... im going to wait for a full review first
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote