View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #91
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Haha, I knew I should have kept my ideas to myself. Here I was thinking of just a simple txt file listing the sequence/title/author/series.

There's a bunch of complications around trying to do something "pretty". I had a quick look at the existing catalog feature but from what I see I don't think I could reuse it for this. There are too many issues which would have to be addressed (custom sort orders, running inline rather than as a job etc).

There are three options that come to mind for how this list could be managed:

(1) It gets created only when you sync, and deleted afterwards. Most "efficient" but will extend the time to sync to your device. Also possibly also the most difficult to implement, since all generation must happen inline rather than as a background job.

(2) It gets created every time you make a change to your list. Most "inefficient" to do in the foreground and not guaranteed to have finished before you connect your device for a sync if I do it in the background.

(3) It gets created manually on demand. Easiest to implement, but another thing the user has to remember to do before they sync to have the most updated list so probably not realistic.

@CWatkinsNash - why do you want the ability to generate the reading list on the fly?

@Nyn - yes this reading list book would be tied to a specific list you had synced. If you synced multiple lists to your device, there would be multiple reading list books. And yes the only purpose of it is to display a sequence for the books on your device. I did not have in mind to generate an all purpose catalog replacement.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote