Thread: Linux?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
re

Thanks. These were the answers I sort of expected. I just wanted to be certain about the firmware update process- that there was not a launching application that required Windows, since Linux is not listed by Ectaco as a compatible OS.

Margins are somewhat of a personal thing. I don't like the looks of text that runs right to the edge of the screen. Imagine what printed books would look like if someone in Gutenberg's time had rightly pointed out that margins wasted paper. I've read thousands of pages on a Palm III XE and set narrow margins (even on this tiny 3" screen) with eReader software. It costs me about one line of text per page, it looks a lot better, and with instant page turns by tapping the LCD display, loss of screen space is not a real issue. So the eReader software provides a margin DISPLAY COMMAND for the Palm that does not require "exhaustive hand formatting" of the text file. I guess your response indicates that the Jetbook has no similar display function? It just prints from edge to edge on the screen. I should have worded the question more clearly.

I like to duplicate the look of a printed page. I use JEdit with a simple macro to clean up Gutenberg texts- remove hard returns so the text auto wraps correctly to any device; remove double linefeeds between paragraphs and substitute a single linefeed with indented paragraphs (using 4 or 5 spaces); remove old mono-font style double spaces between sentences; remove distracting underscores that they use to bracket itallics text etc. It takes about 5 seconds to reformat an entire 400 (printed) page book and does not require exhaustive hand formatting.

I read somewhere that if you use RTF on a Jetbook, the unit displays a 1.5 or double space between lines even if the original file is single spaced. Do you know if this is still the case when you are wrapping text and only using returns between paragraphs?
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote