Thread: Linux?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Jetbook Lite and am 95% sure I can load txt files with the reader being recognized as an external disk, but Ectaco's website says the unit is fully compatible with Windows and Mac- no mention of Linux (Ubuntu).
Is anyone using their's with Linux?
Okay, I use Linux as my primary operating system. The jetBook works fine with Linux. It shows up as an external drive just like in Mac or Windows.

Quote:
What would be the implied incompatibility with Linux- firmware updates?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The jetBook itself is a Linux based device. As for frimware updates since the updates are applied by placing them on SD card and performing some slightly convoluted feats of dexterity with the buttons on the device, applying them is completely independent of whatever OS you're running on your computer. All you have to do is be able to write to an SD card which Linux does just as well as Mac or Windows.

Quote:
Also, every picture I've seen of this unit shows text with no margins. Can margins be set with plain txt? Any help from an owner who uses his/hers with Linux would be appreciated.
Not really sure why you'd want to do this. Seems like a waste of screen space. That said, I don't think there's anything you can do with a text file that would give you extra margin space that wouldn't involve exhaustive hand formatting of the file.

Last edited by Teyrnon; 11-30-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quoting error
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote