View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
K4's screen is 8BPP I guess, you need to hack a little bit to make it work on K4
The 4bpp screens are emulated in software using dithered pure black and pure white pixels. It would actually be quite easy to get those 1-bit black and white pixels onto a K4 or Touch screen (one pixel per byte).

Hawhill used 4bpp games to prevent complexity and loss of image quality by needing to downsample the content. It is better to use content already designed for 4bpp.

On eink, the way its device drivers are designed in the kindle, there are real limitations to how fast you can update the display. If you go faster than 12 FPS, it totally breaks down by using deferred writes that completely destroy the image until the drivers "catch up". Faster than about 1 image every two seconds causes some smearing but the image is still recognizable (with more smearing but still recognizable up to about 12 FPS). It is best to keep changing content limited to a small area of the screen for maximum animation quality. You can have an animated object moving around the screen reasonable well, but it will still smear because although black pixels are drawn quickly, the device drivers can take up to two seconds before they get around to drawing white pixels (faster if you do not overload them with too many pixels to change). These numbers are based on my own eink testing on a K3 using my own custom test code written in C. I did a LOT of testing...

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote