View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #75
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I hope nothing I've said leads you to believe that I think that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I never said that in the thread I was involved in.
I don't think so, and you both haven't said something like that outright, but several comments do imply this, however. At least, they do to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I never said that in the thread I was involved in.

The argument that was common a couple of years ago and that I described was that the gender of the protagonist mattered. What was always claimed was the female reader did not mind that the protagonist was male but that male reader had more problem with female protagonists.

Googling this now it seems there is research showing that both female and male readers prefer male protagonists.
Interesting; I don't have any problems with a female protagonist. I don't have any problems with character-driven stories. On the contrary: I think I prefer them. I play RPG's, and most of the good ones have strong character development *and* a good plot in addition.

If a story has no character development, then IMHO, it's just flat. It's a series of events, that doesn't seem to have an impact on the character.

I've bought the Paksenarrion omnibus at Baen, and split it up into its three seperate books. When reading some short comments on several sites, I have a feeling that this is exactly the sort of fantasy I like most. In fact, I've read the first 2-3 pages, and I think I like this character already. Maybe even especially because she's female.

edit:
Spoiler:

I actually think the the start of the story makes her instantly likeable to both females and males. Her father arranged a marriage she doesn't want to be in, and when she protests, he wants to make her obey by trying to hit her with a belt. One can easily identify with such a character.

For many women in some parts of the world, this kind of practice is still the norm in today's world. They can instantly identify with Paksenarrion. They may have actually been in the same predicament. When she picks up a sword to defend herself, they may wish that more women in their world would have the courage to do such a thing. They might actually wish *they* would have, or would have had the courage themselves.

For many men, it'll instantly make them wish they could be there as a protector and to dish out some serious punishment to the father. Isn't that what any man wants? To be there at the right time, at the right place, to rescue a beautiful damsel in distress, and run off with her himself and live happily ever after? Come on. Admit it. I know you would if you could.

The one thing I hate are the fantasy stories with 15-year old guys that grow into hero's within 3 months as protagonists

Last edited by Katsunami; 05-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote