View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Reminds me of a conversation I had with some of my friends' kids who felt that reading the instructions that came with their new video games was somehow "cheating."

I look up words that I don't know the meaning of (or can't easily figure out from context) with zero regard for whether it was used "pretentiously" or not. Why a word might have been used has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the word exists and has exposed a gap in my knowledge that needs to be remedied. Since I can do that very quickly and easily, I do so, and move on. Usually the happier for it.

Now, if I have to do that for 10-12 words per paragraph—page after page, ad nauseum—then we can start talking about pretentiousness (or possibly just prerequisite knowledge that I lack).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote