View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #22
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Only percentage does not work for me. I need the total number of pages also. The information I am missing is how long is the book, how long will it take to finish it, and where am I in the story and since the structure of the story depends on the total length you need to know it to know where you are in the story.
That is exactly what you get when you use a percentage. The book is always 100.0 % long. So when you are at 73.1% you still have 26.9% to go

Page numbers don't give you this information. You also need to know the last page. So when you are on page 300 you will have to know that the book is 900 pages to know how far you are in the book. And 33.3% gives you that information.

Because if you change the font size or font type because it is a bit darker in te room you can suddenly end up at page 400 (of 1200), and be at the same spot in the story. The 33.3 % will not change.

Page numbers are not fixed but a function of font type font size and screen size. If we get adjustable margin sizes it will even get worse.

Your page 400 almost certainly will not be mine. But the percentages will be identical.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote