View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
No. Same with me. I cannot go into the dictionary function of French and Japanese dictionaries, and maybe of some other languages (I did not try all of them).
I made however a small sample Japanese-English dictionary (first 50000 entries or so of Jim Breen's Edict) using the pattern of the Kobo English dictionary and so on, rather than the pattern of the Kobo Japanese Dictionary. After installing it in the disguise of the German dictionary it works as expected and I can access the dictionary function too. In order to type Hiragana/Katakana one has however to change the user language to Japanese.
If you would like to search the French dictionary, just rename it to dicthtml-de.zip or another dictionary language that you do not use (and that allows searching).
Interesting system....didn't realise that type of thing was possible

I'm hoping they fix these dictionaries soon, I can be patient for now anyway, since I don't currently have any japanese books I want to read (just dled some random free ones to experiment with)....I'm just keeping my eye on the situation to see how things unfold.

Quote:
Maybe you would like to add a further French dictionary to your reader, as ShellShock did it with English dictionaries (link). Information on how to build dictionaries is available here (link), especially here (link). ShellShock will perhaps give some detailed instructions for Windows users (cf. this post). I am not sure whether one can find an appropriate French dictionary for conversion. I think the Encyclopédie de Diderot et d'Alembert might be useful for older stuff, and one can download it easily (http://encyclopédie.eu/A.html etc).
but if i DO get desperate, I might just look into what you suggested above....thanks for the links!

Quote:
Today 10:49 vice-versa
I'm not fluent enough to read in japanese, but I noticed something funny... I mostly read books in english, but sometime find some interesting books in french too (I set my main language to french on the device, as I'm French). Lately, I encountered a word in a french book that I wanted to look at. I selected it and it was the english-english dictionnary that popped up, no way to have access to the french-french dictionnary An other thing : no proper name show up in the dictionnary (that can be useful to place a town or an historical character).
Sounds quite annoying. I am less than impressed that the french and japanese dictionaries are less than fully functional...especially with kobo's connection to both canada and japan
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote