View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #226
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I give Audible a lot of credit, but they were also one of my two object lessons in why DRM is categorically offensive and companies should be punished for using it. I'm not fond of using only "authorized" software, making sure the software is authorized before I want to use it, and having to remember login credentials for a company I no longer purchase from if I ever want to use my purchases again.

That said, along with the perpetual shackles on your Audible purchases, you also get perpetual support, including the option to re-download years-old purchases and the ability to get a rep on the phone to help recover old passwords, even if you aren't a current subscriber. I understand the DRM is catering to publishers' superstitions about how punishing your paying customers somehow inhibits piracy, and most people don't find it quite as offensive on so many levels as I do. Design that inhibits function and/or durability is something akin to heresy for me.

/rant
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote