View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
The EDGE connection shows no full bars either. I'm not sure what network my TracFone uses. It was issued to me by SafeLink Wireless. From what I understand they use several different carriers. I *think* they use Verizon, US Cellular or perhaps Alltel, but I'm not exactly sure.

As an experiment I drove around town to several locations, parking at each one then rescanning for networks on the Kindle. Only once did a network show up, called "DQ2QD," and it prompted me for a password (I suppose it was some private network).
It sounds like your cell phone is not using the same cell phone network as the Kindle.

The networks you are seeing are wi-fi, not 3G. If wi-fi is not available, and 3G is, it should connect via 3G, assuming that your 3G modem is working.

EDGE is the slower version of 3G. If you have no bars, either you have no signal, or your 3G modem is not working. It can't hurt to call Kindle Support, and see if they can help. It is not unheard of for the modem to not work.

Put a free book from mobileread or Smashwords or something on the Kindle, and see how you like reading on it, if you aren't sure you are going to keep it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote