View Single Post
Old 07-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #20
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Yes Marvin 2 and 3 have rendering issues with 3 being not as good as 2. CSS can get complicated and likely those that mostly read novels or simply formatted books with endless paragraphs with no formatting other than text indent, they might not notice.
Exactly. What's the point of releasing Marvin 3, which renders worse than Marvin 2, as you've just pointed out?

Quote:
As far as the problem CSS i found in MapleRead, I'm typing from my phone so it's hard to check. But from memory i can describe it. Imagine a file with an H1 heading and many later H2 and H3. Let's say it begins H1 then H2. Then a bunch of paragraphs. Then another H2. If you want that H2 to be formatted differently, you can define an H2 that follows a paragraph like so:

H2 { margin:...}
p + h2 {margin-top: something different. }

Pretty sure that's what it is.
Fine. There is no hurry. I'll wait for you to post your EPUB test case(s).

Quote:
Except for font family, line height, and page margin, I'm not sure if it's wise to mess with an eBook's styling. Who knows what other unknown issues remain. iBooks rendering I've found best so far. Maybe not perfect but no recent issues i can remember except not using iBook's line height when it's specifically defined or other things i can fix by editing the CSS.
It seems that you personally prefer to hack the CSS files of an EPUB (which involves unzipping the EPUB file, and open up a text editor to modify one or more CSS files, and then zipping all the files to create a modified EPUB file again) over letting a good reader app to do the job almost effortlessly for you. Well, the average user don't want to do that.

Quote:
Edit: found an issue with full justification. Normally I only want on or off, not to set left and then see centered and right justified now left. I'm not sure if having options other than off and on are common enough to warrant such a setting.
Perhaps for you, but definitely not for me. Arabic and Hebrew are written horizontally right-to-left instead of left-to-right as in English. Right-justification setting is absolutely essential for these languages. I don't see any harm in putting center setting there for completeness.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote