Thread: Rss2Book
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
Finally, I have been able to get a working version of HTMLDOC (paehl.com did it, thanks!), so now I can test your nearly-fantastic tool, geekraver.

It's perfect for English text. OWLRSS messes up RTF (posts as single paragraphs, no formatting, no images, no anything) and PDF (RTF problems + less reading space). Fortunately, rss2book keeps all original RSS format, generates a very useful TOC thanks to HTMLDOC, AND is optimized for the Reader. What more could I possibly ask? Read on...

Non-English text looks corrupt, though. See El País and El Mundo, the two most important newspapers in Spain. Both websites and RSS feeds are in ISO-8859-15. (Please find attached the resulting HTML file from those two feeds).

Rss2book seems to corrupt perfectly good ISO-8859-15 characters, and the resulting HTML can only be correctly viewed in Firefox if UTF-8 is chosen. Specifying UTF-8 in a HTML metadata fixes the HTML, BUT HTMLDOC is non-compatible with any kind of Unicode, so I'm screwed.

For now, I will try to clean UTF-8 back into ISO (with some automatic tool, I hope), and see what happens.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rss2book.zip (4.1 KB, 929 views)
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote