Thread: Sci-Fi Romance?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post

(As only an occasional sci-fi reader, much more of a mystery reader, where series can be really long, I sometimes wonder why do so many sci-fi books come in threes? Granted there are also some long sci-fi and fantasy series, but a lot of threes...)
I’m not at all an SF reader, but I’ll take a stab at this.

Mystery series tend to be self-contained books. There may be, probably are, elements in the personal arc of the protagonist that develop over the series, but each book is a fully developed story. Back in the day, before ebooks, it wasn’t at all unlikely that depending on availability at the bookstore and the library, that you might miss out a title or two; at that, you might have picked it up in the middle of the series and then backtracked. No harm done, and the books worked perfectly well.

I suspect, especially with the world-building in SF&F, that you can’t read later books in a series as satisfactorily without reading the earlier ones. Moreover, I think they’re more likely to be telling an over-arcing story that’s broken down into chunks. Hence the trilogies. With a trilogy, you don’t have later books in a long series held hostage to the availability of earlier books (not much of a problem now), but also and IMO very importantly, three books is about the right number to tell an over-arcing story. The setup, the ramp-up, the final confrontation. Longer series and there’s too much wheel-spinning going on before the final confrontation.

But what do I know? I mean that seriously. Not my genre.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote