View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
jplumey,

Here's my two cents: You should self publish both in multi-format DRM-free ebook format, and also via one of the POD publishers such as Wordclay or Lulu or CreateSpace. It's important to provide your book in both e- and p- formats because different readers want different formats, or some readers will want to own the book in both e- and p-.

Next, if the book truly is sellable, you might want to get an agent and give them a chance to sell your book for a big advance (most authors probably only get a $5-$10k advance, though that's more than the average self-published author makes. There are exceptions). If you do sell to a traditional publisher, make sure the rights to the book revert back to you if the publisher lets it go out of print. Also, you might want to negotiate retaining the e-rights to the book, though most publishers probably won't want to do that.

Today, I think most authors aspire to be traditionally published. Not to far in the future, I think this will flip around and more authors will begin aspiring to self-publish. More authors will realize that the bloom of the published rose soon fades once they learn how poorly most books, especially debut books, are handled by the publishers. I see a hint of that in your question, so kudos to you for your foresight.

Good luck.

Mark
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote