View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
1. Is it possible to easily get out of diags, and reboot into main? (On the KT, there was some workaround required in some situations, in order to be able to reboot into main).
EDIT: I just selected "Disable Diags" from the diags menu, and it rebooted to main. Then I verified that it really DID delete ENABLE_DIAGS, so that simplifies using a startup script to check for it.

You can still use MfgTool or imx_usb_loader with the custom usboots I made, to boot to a selected mode.
Quote:
2. Did anybody already "SSH-enable" their diags partition? If so, could you please post some relevant information? (instructions, or a script, or a binary image... anything is fine). I just want to avoid to reinvent the wheel, in case someone invented it before.
I just ran SSH on my PW using the ";un" search to enable SSH, then I did these commands:
Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
cp -r /usr/local/* /mnt/mmc/usr/local
idme -d --bootmode diags
reboot
Then in the diags menu I selected N-U-Z-X, and I successfully logged in to diags SSH (with my fionaXXX password, as in main SSH).
Quote:
3. Any easy way to trigger "diags" mode? The ENABLE_DIAGS file logic (which was there on the K5) is gone in the PW, but I guess that it is a *very* good idea to put it back. ...
I was "planning" (RSN) to write a startup script that checks for ENABLE_DIAGS, and if found it does "idme -d --bootmode diags; reboot". Of course, if somebody else does it first, please post the startup script. Thanks.
Quote:
Other than that, there is of course THE grand question remaining: How to get the Paperwhite into USB downloader mode? I'm convinced that it must be possible somehow. I've tried various methods of rebooting it, but none have succeeded - still, there must be some way.
I futzed with combinations of a magnet (using the sensor about 2-3cm up from the screen bottom, on the right side) and touching the screen at various places with different numbers of fingers, along with holding it at various orientations, and even shaking it in various directions during boot, and plugging or unplugging the USB cable before releasing power. No luck there. What else can we try?

EDIT: For that matter, we still need the "magic key" for the DX and DXG.

NOTE: After installing SSH into diags, it should be a bit safer to mess with main and not worry so much about bricking it (to a certain degree). You can always boot to diags with MfgTool or imx_usb_loader. That assumes, of course, that amazon does not get "cute" and delete the contents of diags /usr/local...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote