Thread: Torture!!
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I rather think Mr. Doctorow was referring to the fact that while an author may know where they are starting from and where they wish to be at the end of a story or novel that said author never quite knows where they will go inbetween. Even with an outline that says x happens then y happens etc. it is possible (even probable) that the course of the story or novel will veer off from that rough plan. I mean if you are planning a road trip from say NY to LA and you know how much gas it will take and what the main routes are you can still find yourself having to detour round construction or an accident etc. so that the route you planned for and the route you ultimately take aren't exactly the same one. The same goes for writing a story or novel I would think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote