View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Nook Color Battery Life

If the rumor is true, then the processor is solid. However, my other concern is the battery life. B&N advertized it to be 8 hours for reading with WiFi off. My first question is, does the 8 hours reading assume the intensity/brightness of the LCD to be turned down to minimum? I have to dim the LCD screen of my Classic Nook to 15% intensity to conserve battery life. The factory setting is ~30%.

If that is the case, as video or web surfing will need more intensive brightness/contrast, the battery life will take a big hit. I am not a pessimist but I try to be realistic. My worse case estimation of the battery life for Nook Color is:
• WiFi off, reading with dimmed brightness, WiFi on (Total battery discharge): 8 hours
• WiFi off, reading with dimmed brightness (assume recharge with 10% battery left): 7.2 hours
• WiFi off, playing Video with higher intensity (assume 100% more intensity): 3.6 hours
• WiFi on and surfing the web with higher intensity: 2.5 hours

This will pale in comparison with the iPad battery performance which is 10 hours in surfing the web with WiFi on. I don’t mind charging the battery everyday but 2 or 3 hours will not do it. What makes it even more of a concern is B&N has locked down the battery and make it non user replaceable so carrying a spare battery is not even an option. I was so tempted to pre-order; I still am tempted but my brain tells me to sit and wait until the review and perfomance comes in.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote