View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
I second the suggestion that an OLPC XO-1 laptop might be a viable option.

The only real way to obtain them, at present, is on ebay, as they are not commercially available, and the"Give One, Get One" donor program that allowed residents of North America to pay for two laptops, donate one to a developing country and receive the other, has ended.

But you might have the option of viewing an XO firsthand, before you bid on one on ebay. Here is a forum where XO Users Groups communicate.

http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

If there is a users group in your locality, you might be able to attend a meeting or arrange to get together with an XO owner who lives nearby, and see the device firsthand. If it's suitable, THEN you can look into getting one via ebay (or even among some XO users who have decided, after taking part in "Give One, Get One", that the device doesn't meet their needs).

I give the XO's ebook mode a big thumbs-up for its readability. And regarding its web surfing capabilities, I'm using it now to send this post. (Though I prefer the Opera browser, which Iinstalled myself, to the built-in web browser.)
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote