View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Futrelle, Jacques: 'The Thinking Machine' Detective Stories Omnibus. v1. 16 June 07

This is a huge selection of detective short stories and one short novel featuring The Thinking Machine, published between 1905 -1912.

This is what The Thinking Machine looked like, as written by the author Jacques Futrelle:

“And this was 'The Thinking Machine'-Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, Ph. D., F. R. S., M. D., LL. D., et cetera, et cetera-logician, analyst, worker of miracles in the exact sciences, intellectual wizard of his time; this the master mind, exalted by the cumulative genius of generations gone before, which had isolated itself on a pinnacle of achievement through sheer force of applied reason.”

And another one from the author:

“It was a singular head and face--a head out of all proportion to body, domelike, enormous, with a wilderness of straw-yellow hair. [Unfortunately, the picture I uploaded for this book lacks the yellow hair!] The face was small, wizened, petulant even; the watery blue eyes, narrow almost to the disappearing point, squinted everlastingly through thick spectacles; the mouth drooped at the corners. The small, white hands which twisted and turned the object-glass into focus were possessed of extraordinarily long, slender fingers.”

--I love this description!

Here's a quote from another source:

"These works, almost of Chestertonian ingenuity, also introduce the most uncompromisingly omniscient detective in fiction. Whether beating the world chess champion after only a few lessons or escaping from a prison death cell to win a bet, Professor Van Dusen finds all problems absurdly easy to solve."

Sounds like fun.

Let me know if there are any problems in the formatting, as I think this is the largest book I've assembled. I can fix them quickly.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote