View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
A brief Description of what its about. Kind of like asking me to give a brief description of what Moby Dick is about. Life, Death, Faith, Love, Well. I'll try. Its kind of like Pilgrims Progress in a way but MUCH more interesting.

An allegory/fairy-tale about a mans journey through the fairyland of his own soul. (Or the Soul of God maybe?)

Its epic fantasy on a Soulish level but it isn't 'weekly Christian' like so much of what passes for Christian fiction is now... (Badly written most modern Christian fiction IMO) Macdonald was a preacher completely at odds with the Calvistic viewpoint so prevalent during his age. He was a true Arminian and nearly a universalist. He revealed to me "The great heart of Love at the heart of the Universe" In a life changing way. I owe him .... I owe him...

The book is about the narrator’s (Anodos) dream-like adventures in fairyland, where he confronts tree-spirits and the shadow, sojourns to the palace of the fairy queen, and searches for the spirit of the earth. The tale is vintage MacDonald, conveying a profound sadness and a poignant longing for death.

This is a work which so overwhelmed C. S. Lewis that a few hours after he began reading it he knew he “had crossed a great frontier.”

He encourages me more than any other writer to believe that God is love but this book is not preachy at all.. In fact from reading it, you wont even know he is a preacher.
Its delightful but a little old school.. He quoted many many poets and in the text I accidentally deleted the names of the old poets thinking I was deleting the hyperlinks only... I was too lazy to go back and fix the poets names especially since it would have taken me hours to search through and find...
The book nearly always makes me weep with joy near the end and comforts me more than any other when I consider friends and relatives that have passed away already.

I could go on and on here. Tolkien owes him a huge debt and has acknowledged that debt many times.
This book has been heralded as the first fantasy novel ever written and in my opinion the best I've ever read.

I do feel a little frustrated I messed up the links a bit. I tried to back and fix them but apparently the program adds some weird text behind the scenes I couldnt alter.

It seems that once you create the links you cant edit them very easily. Especially if you change the chapter titles after creating the links? Then when I made the file I lost my 'last file function so.. in order to fix it I'd have to start all over again. Besides the link problem in the contents page its the way i want it though. Good for a read straight through. By the Way. The Chapters aren't named anyway si I just invented names for them. (I sould have just left the whole Chapter part fo the book out. It would have saved me hours of work!!!!)

((By the way.. I love Parenthesis))

Dr. You may give it a go...

Oh. By the way.. I downloaded a book free online by a fanfic writer in the Tolkien tradition mythos. Isildur By Brian Crawford. Its freely available as a PDF file here. http://home.comcast.net/~crawford.b/...r/isildur.html
I reformatted it and did the chapter links right this time for the Sony Reader. It looks grand in the connect software. I emailed Brian Crawford to ask him if he would allow me to post it here. Its the back story of Isildur and the Ring and its great.

Last edited by Roy White; 05-19-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote