View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
My point is that the concept of footnotes is useful, and any inabilities in markup languages or rendering engines should be seen by authors and readers as temporary deficiencies that need quick remedy. WYSIWYG (haven't used that acronym in a while) word processors show us that it is possible to include footnotes in the scope of reflowing text.
Well...that's not really the same thing. We can't compare a word processor, which, while WYSIWYG, has the opportunity to reflow pages when asked, with an ePUB, which has the never-ending task of constant reflowing--every time someone puts it on another device, when they change font-sizes, etc. That's a fairly demanding request, requiring a goodly amount of computing power and code. I think that javascript pop-ups/tooltips, etc., would be an easier solution, device-wise, than adding that much reflowability, on the fly. I could be wrong--you guys have far more coding-fu than I; but that's my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote