View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
That's what I was thinking; make an index that consists primarily of plain text (not hyperlinked), but link things that are harder to search for, like "state tree."
I would say most publishers lately have been removing the Index completely, some leave the plain text Index in the ebook (that is what I tend to prefer), and others might hyperlink all the "page numbers" in them.

I can't say I've seen one that mixes up plain text + hyperlinked words though.

Quote:
Consider the following example from an index from a book in the public domain:

State Trees, 354-7; of, Idaho, 354-5; Illinois, 355

If I turned this book into a reflowable epub, then the page numbers wouldn't make sense. So how do most epub authors handle this kind of situation?
IF you wanted to do a hyperlinked Index, the typical code looks like this:

You insert a link where the page break occurs (Page 354+355):

Spoiler:
Quote:
<h2><a href="#page354">Chapter IX</h2>

[...]

<p>Whereas, the members of Ellen Wright Camp, Franklin County Chapter, Daughters of Pioneers, by resolution, <a href="#page355">have asked that the White Pine be designated as the state tree of the State of Idaho.</p>

Then in the Index you would have to create all the links back:

Spoiler:
Quote:
State Trees, <a href="../Text/Chapter09.xhtml#page354">354</a>-<a href="../Text/Chapter09.xhtml#page357">7</a>; of, Idaho, <a href="../Text/Chapter09.xhtml#page354">354</a>-<a href="../Text/Chapter09.xhtml#page355">5</a>; Illinois, <a href="../Text/Chapter09.xhtml#page355">355</a>

Side Note: In this specific case, it would be even more of a giant pain in the ass to generate + check links for the condensed form of numbers: 354-7 = 357.

Quote:
Since epubs are searchable, I've thought of just creating a static index (i.e. no links) that lists key words that readers can then search for. (However, it wouldn't work for the example I posted above, which would have to be customized somehow.)

Have you ever seen such an index in an epub?
Last time Indexes were brought up was in this topic, "Real Page Numbers for Reflowable Kindles":

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=279004

We went into very in-depth discussion on "Page Numbers" in ebooks (and how meaningful they are), how to do Indexes, Indexes compared to search, etc. etc.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-12-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote