View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #27
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I dislike the shorthand form of margins. I prefer to have the margins done the long way.
And, as others have noted, some reader software doesn't support the shorthand, while I have never found one that supports the shorthand but not the long version. Using the long version creates more portable EPUB.

On the other hand, I would never put any margin, widow, or text-align in type selector in an EPUB stylesheet. Those belong in the user stylesheet, so they can set their defaults for the reader they use, and don't have to resort to using "!important", which makes the cascade much harder to follow for humans. In fact, the EPUB stylesheet should really only have class, ID, and pseudo-element selectors.

Basically, CSS in an EPUB should always assume the user page box is how the user wants it, and not try and change it in any way. The CSS in the EPUB should use margins to separate the blocks of the book from the edges of the user page box, and to separate boxes from each other (either vertically or horizontally), and nothing else.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote