Thread: Palm TX
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #8
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
If I were going to buy one today (work provides mine, so I take what I get), I'd probably go for the E2 rather than the T|X, mainly because the brighter screen and lower price are more important to me, personally, than the larger screen and bigger, flash-drive-emulating memory are.
The TX actually doesn't have a flash-drive-emulating memory section. The T5 is the one that has that. But if you want that you can give both the E2 and the TX one. Link! I don't need the internal drive method, so I just use the Drive Mode app from someone else's T5 (Filez on a SD card did the trick to get the files and copy them to my TX ), which exports the SD card as a USB mass storage device.

Personally I find the large screen on the TX appealing, as the hard Graffiti area doesn't appeal to me, since I do more reading with my TX than writing. And I like an onscreen keyboard better than Graffiti sometimes. Also the lack of wifi would be a deal-breaker for me, as I love network and internet access. As far as battery life goes, I get around a weeks worth of battery (or more), depending on what I do, including wifi usage, some games (SNES games with an overclocked processor), and a fair bit of reading (sometimes online - very nice use of the wifi is to load a long page of text, and disconnect from the internet to read it). I keep the system underclocked (from the default 312 down to 208) for most usage, except media playback (312-416), web browser (312), and emulation (up to a whopping 520!). I also used a minor hack to allow the TX's screen to go dimmer than it can by default, and I always use it at the lowest easily readable level, depending on ambient light.

Overall, it's a very nice machine for reading, light wifi surfing, and some media/games! I do suggest grabbing a copy of Warpspeed, though. Along with a couple of the other free hacks from PalmPowerups, like the brightness fix I mentioned.

On an interesting note, I've managed to get it to sync automatically with my desktop every morning at 06:20 over wifi, and to grab my new mail every morning around 06:45, since I'm always far too rushed in the morning to do anything other than have a shower and get going (maybe grab a bite to eat on the way out). I really should set my alarm clock earlier sometime...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote