Thread: Font Embedding?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
font file stripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookLuke View Post
The eBook Club Italia is working to a such solution since one year…
We have a working software prototype, as soon as we find time to spend on it, we will release a tool online for this job.
Freeshadow, if you are an experienced Python programmer and you have time to spend, wish you help us in this project?
If so, feel free to contact me in PM

Luke
Hi Luke,

I couldn't even hello world in python

I just was thinking about if and how such font stripping could be possible since I read a posting confirming that someone got in trouble embedding a commercial font. (I think Dennis posted)
Keeping in mind that commercial full utf-range containing fonts are not only expensive (thinking about the Linotype collection CDs here... 4 digit prices) but huge too (isn't, the full UTF Times New Roman, according to Wikipedia several megabytes big?)
It would make sense to strip them for several reasons:

1.)I can't think of a book really needing ALL of the glyphs: several languages (some purely historic), math, physics etc. and the kitchen sink.

If a book with such needs exists it makes the Rosetta Stone look like a nursery rhyme. I think such a case is highly improbable.

So let's strip and save size.

When we remove the unused glyphs without changing the location of the used ones inside the font it should be fine with the epub specs I think.

2.) when stripped, to strictly! what's needed in a specific epub, then renamed because of said modifications, replace the original fontfiles in the epub and finally run pdurrands obfuscation script over it.

The result would be as close to font embedding like it's done with PDFs, as it can be done with epubs.

And now the real kicker:
This similarity should give a way to use fonts acquired under pre-epub licensing terms because as with PDFs the embedded data would be neither easily readable nor complete.
Et voilà no problems with using commercial fonts anymore.

IMO you should present the project of the ebook club at the epub general forum for all the reasons above.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote