View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Publishers vs. self-published is strongly related to pbook vs ebook prices for me. I find that if publishers and a bookstore to agree that a book is worth selling, it's more likely to have a basic level of readability. Not a hard and fast rule, but a general guideline. So I'm more willing to pay more for a physical book, because a higher level of scrutiny has gone into it than a self-published ebook.
Just because am eBook has come out from a BPH does not mean the level of readability is actually there. In some cases, it's not there due to errors in the text that the BPH added in because they are too fricking lazy to properly make the eBook. One eBook that would have been fairly unreadable had I not corrected some of the major OCR errors before I got too far into into it would have been unreadable. It was Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell. The book is quite good, but the errors in the eBook were not good. One example was a character's name being misspelled sometimes.

Quote:
Publishers also do help with discovery, even if it's just a basic genre-filter and grammar check. I'm willing to pay more for that convenience, since I haven't had good luck finding hobbyist reviewers whose taste consistently matches mine.
For some backlist eBooks, you also pay good money for stupid errors that they don't bother to fix. Hyperion was laden with a number of OCR errors.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote