View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #39
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
As kennyc has mentioned, modern electronics are build upon the model of planned obsolesce. So I really don't expect my Sony PRS-350 or Nook classic (assuming it still works...I gave it away in 2011) to work 30 years from now. Even if they do, they'll be so obsolete, it won't be worth it to use them. Even some of my working gadgets are already becoming obsolete. My iPod Touch 3rd generation can't receive the latest iOS updates. It only has iOS v5.1 (or something like that). However, the iOS is now up to version 6 I think.

In regards to e-ink screens, I think they're pretty robust as long as you don't do anything stupid with them. I hope we didn't give the impression that they're extremely fragile. I keep my Sony PRS-350 in a case and keep it in a compartment in my purse. Same with the Nook. Unless the screen is defective, it should stand up to everyday use.

I don't see new e-Reader models having removable batteries because electronic makers seem to be moving away from that. This is not only an issue with e-Readers but tablets and phones too. I have to agree that it's rather unfortunate but like kennyc said previously, the electronic manufacturers have to keep the river flowing. Still some older models, like the Nook classic, do allow users to replace the battery.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote