View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The way I believe they see it, the more people the system can turn to legitimate sales channels... in other words, using the law and the "difficulties" of skirting it to drive the larger number of casual consumers to iTunes-type services... the less they will worry about the shrinking number of pirates against their greater profits.

At any rate, the article is not so much a concern to the technical end, as much as it is a suggestion that orgs like the RIAA (and its European equivalent), the ISPs and the governments will all start to work together against hacking.

Here's the big concern: Suppose they can't stop hacking, but they can identify the hackers? With govt regulations supporting them, hacking could end up being on someone's public record...

And with a ticket to Club Fed...I agree. But that's always been the way with illegal activities. Look at all the people stuck in jail for alcohol offences during prohibition.

I'm a proponent of legal downloading. To me, the problem is, one - are there legal channels for the information I want to download. With music, there usually is. Wth e-books, there often isn't. And two, I just hate the big brother aspect. Illegal or not, our freedom (in the US) is based privacy and probable cause. And these are being pitched out the window for a few cents...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote