Thread: Touch Firmware 2.1.4
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #260
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Hmm?

I had 2.04 and it updated to 2.1.4. I also had a problem with my device saying I was out of memory even though I only had 131 books on the device. The problem occurred with both 2.04 and 2.14, so I did a factory reset. This cleared the memory problem but when it reset it loaded the 2.0.0 firmware.

Subsequently, I have not been able to update to 2.1.4. If 2.0.0 is highly problematic and I don't doubt it, then why would Kobo load 2.0.0 when people do a factory reset ?
No, it isn't 2.0.0. It is the original factory firmware on some devices. Mine is one of these. When I do a factory reset, it installs to 1.9.11. When I connected to the Kobo desktop application (up until a week or so ago) it downloaded 2.0.0. If I tried to manually install 2.1.1, it either did the dancing squares or restarted but with an incomplete update.

I have talked to Kobo developers about this. When they were trying to solve the problem, they asked me what the factory reset firmware was, and what books were loaded on it after a factory reset. After they investigated, they told me there was an issue with a set of devices that meant that the standard upgrade path wouldn't work past 2.0.0. I don't know if it is the actual firmware, or the "extras" loaded that caused it. I suspect that it is a combination of both with the extras taking up some space that is preventing the update.

Their solution is that for these devices, they will load an intermediate firmware. This is 2.0.4. And then they will load 2.1.4. They have rolled out 2.0.4, at least to some people, and they are waiting for 2.1.4

Lastly, the batch of problem devices came to Australia. Or at least a lot of them did. They where sold here last year. I don't know how they are controlling distributing the 2.0.4 updates. It could be based on the device itself, or it could be IP based. At least one Australian with a device purchased much later has reported receiving 2.0.4. That suggests it is IP based.

All that says the problem isn't 2.0.0, but one from much earlier that Kobo are trying to circumvent.

Quote:
I like Kobo and I really like the new product line, I intended to buy a Glo and was also contemplating buying an Arc when it came out. But between this never ending roll out and not knowing when to expect product in the U.S., I find myself rapidly losing enthusiasm.
I can understand that. But, my Touch works so well on any of the official firmware, that I am happy and will be very tempted when I see a Glo here. I'm almost glad they haven't arrived here as it saves me from that temptation
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote