View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I can honestly say I cannot tell if you are serious about the whole idea. Assuming you are: how do you define 'one user at a time'? Are you putting some sort of time limit (as in magnitude of days or greater) on before you let the next person download?

If not, even if you queue people up so there can only be one download at a time, we are talking the potential for thousands of downloads per a book per a day.

This is quite different than lending a physical copy of a book out.

At this point, I am not clear how your fancy new site could be classified any differently than something like pirate bay - even if the uploader truly is the original owner of said ebook.

I must be missing something. That or you've successfully trolled me.
What he's missed, or is ignoring, is that the only way to even try to claim that only one person can borrow a given book at a time is some kind of DRM with very strong encryption. You know, the sort of stuff he claims to hate and "not believe in"?

Not that I believe for one second that he's got the skill or the balls to try what he's talking about, but if he does, he could end up actually being arrested for it. (At which point, he can prove what a brave revolutionary he is by taking the first plea bargain offered, and turn over his customer list to the prosecutors.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote