View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
My husband came home with the news this morning that someone in his office bought a Galaxy Note and now wants to sell it because they don't like having such a big phone. And the price is good, i.e. $200 or possibly under!

Here's the thing, he is NOT going to leave the SIM card in it.

This, I *think* is fine by me. I am NOT interested in the device as a phone, I am not a big cell phone user AT ALL. I have a Tracfone for emergency cell needs and hardly ever even turn it on. I can't afford and don't want any kind of expensive data plan.

What I *am* interested in the Note for is WiFi tablet and color e-reader use. My Galaxy Player 5.0 is nice, but I'm sure the Note's resolution would be far friendlier to my eyes. Plus I love the idea of a pen, since I like to sketch sometimes. I've already held one, it fits my hand just as nice as my Player does.

Anyway, my question for those who are more familiar with cell phones, will the WiFi and GPS and cameras and Bluetooth and all that work just fine with no SIM card installed? Are there any issues I should be aware of in having the device with no SIM card in it?

Will not having a SIM card affect the ability to upgrade it eventually to ICS? Will it charge properly?

Sorry if the questions seem stupid, I know NOTHING about cell phones! But this seems like a really good deal for a piece of tech I'd love to have and my birthday is coming up, so hubby has already told the guy we are interested. It would help if I had some answers some time today, as they will both be back on graveyard again tonight and maybe we could seal the deal.
It will work without a SIM. But you will have to put it in Flight Mode, otherwise the radio remains ON and will drain your battery.
While in flight mode, you can toggle WiFi, BT and GPS on and off with a Widget or via the Settings menu.
You could also put an old SIM if you prefer, one without service and keep it in flight mode, there is really no difference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote