View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Slight correction: *Windows* does not distinguish case in filenames in its main filesystem. This has nothing to do with Sigil. There is no way for Sigil to enforce case-sensitivity on Windows!

Linux does distinguish case, and Mac OSX does come with alternate filesystems that are case-sensitive. I use one on my own OS X machine.

In other words: filename.ext == FILENAME.EXT == FiLeNaMe.ExT on the default Windows filesystem and asking to load any of them will in fact load the exact same file. It impacts all software on Windows including browsers used to load local files. There is nothing Sigil can do to "fix" this. And yes, epubcheck can look for this issue to help prevent problems on "real" computer operating systems ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
A related issue: Sigil, on Windows, does not distinguish case in filenames.

Demonstrated by trying to rename a file from x.html to X.html, it will pop an error 'The filename "X.html" is already in use.'
I can work around that, e.g. name x to xx to X.

But I had a few days hairpulling when I made a file that worked perfectly in Windows, had no errors with the built-in F7 check, exported to Kindle OK, but loading to a Mac and iBooks, had missing images.
Eventually I used epubcheck and it told me there were missing references and I realised it meant there was a case mismatch in an img code.

I installed the epubcheck plugin and now use it religiously and won't be caught by this again.

I assume this is due to the underlying OS and that likely Sigil on Linux or OSX will not have this problem. But Sigil really should enforce case sensitivity in filenames so errors like this are not hidden.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-08-2018 at 10:33 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote