View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 02:01 AM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A serious book but one I found more annoying than interesting. I suppose I could claim I liked it. After all, it's an important work by a well respected author, but honestly, it just doesn't work for me. It asks questions that I long ago answered for myself, and it asks them in a way that is not likely to change any minds. It seems to me that the time for reading Ishiguro is in your teens, or perhaps your 20's if you're a bit slow. That's when you need to be thinking "deep thoughts". Overall, I confess to being quite disappointed. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, but that was a stretch.
I agree with you about the more annoying than interesting. But who decides that the book or the author is very important? A few self-appointed arbiters of such things, which are themselves highly subjective. Personally I only take account of such things in the decision whether to read, and then only rarely.

But I must respectfully disagree with the rest of your post with the exception of your rating. Personally I think we should be trying to think deep thoughts for the whole of our lives, or at least as long as we are able to. And our personal answers to deep questions should be, if not constantly at least periodically, challenged and reviewed throughout our lifetime. Certainly some of my "answers" now have evolved or sometimes even changed dramatically since I was in my 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
TL,DR.

Seriously, folks. If you post tomes here, you run the very real risk of people missing your points. And it really is a buzz kill. Try keeping it short and succinct. Then we can all discuss/argue/debate a particular good/bad feature.

Or, you can all just dump on me. That's fine too.
Thank you for the suggestion, and I notice that you certainly do practice what you preach.

However, i am respectfully going to take your alternative option. I won't be offended if you choose not to read or comment on my posts.

The approach I am taking is effectively to post my semi-review of the book setting out my thoughts on many aspects. Others here also take that approach, and personally I think it is the better one. Others are then free to pick particular points they consider worthy of discussion.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote