View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 08:05 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
The only reset I can see is the "factory reset" and pretty sure that will wipe out all books.
OK. I think you are correct about that.

Quote:
I was wondering about that, as I assume all the status info for each book is in its sdr folder.
So if I back up the Documents folder, then reset the Kindle, then copy the the whole Documents folder back, it will restore all the bookmarks, notes, page position, collections, while rebuilding its central database of titles so I can load new books? Worth a try, if I've reset anyway.
I gave up on collections years ago and know very little about them, but that might be the fly in the ointment. You say amazon has none of your content. If that means they also don't have a record of your collections, then your collections will disapear with the reset. I don't think any collection information is in the .sdr directories.

You might want to start a new thread with collections in the title then ask about getting collections back after a reset, explaining that you did not use email, send to kindle, etc. and which firmware you have. (amazon has changed collections a lot over the years.) There are quite a few people that know quite a bit about collections.
Quote:
What does jailbreak let me do to solve this?

I'm on 5.9.2, and there was no jailbreak for that when I got it, though I think there is now. I put in the block folder to stop automatic updates to give that a chance to evolve. So I was thinking I would do that if I have to rebuild everything anyway.
You have a choice of 2 jailbreaks, the 5.9.6.1 specfic to the PW3 and the most recent all kindle jailbreak that requires inclusively between 5.10.3 and 5.13.3, the former requires downloading and installing the factory firmware will update to 5.9.6.1 and the latter (known as KindleBreak) is much faster and simpler to do and does not require using factory firmware as an intermediate step.

Once jailbroken, you can use a sledgehammer or a surgical approach. The former is to remove /var/local/cc.db and let the kindle rebuild it, but I think you might lose collections doing that.

If you are willing to manipulate an sqlite database, you can likely repair whatever messed up the rows for the problematic books.

If you would like to try this approach and can not figure out what to do by inspecting the entries for your books, there are quite a few people in the Kindle Developer's Forum with the expertise to help.

You can use SQL commands directly or one of the sqlite browser apps available for just about any platform. (You'll need to copy /var/local/cc.db to your computer.

amazon added some custom SQL function to cc.db so accomodating that will involve some tedium.
Quote:
I think I had to do that to turn off ads. And to download dictionaries, though I can presumably back up and restore the ones I have. And I may want to actually get am Amazon book, at some time. But not too worried about that.
OK. Well, it is easy enough to register and I don't think either of the above jailbreak methods loses your registration.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote