View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #22
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
frabjous wrote as part of a post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
PDF is in my opinion far and away the best ebook format, so long as the PDF was actually made for your device. PDF's bad reputation comes from people trying to read PDFs that were not made for their devices. There is no way to get decent typography like kerning, ligatures, end of line hyphenation, full font choice, vector graphics, etc., with any other format.
I second this. I format my ebooks and save them as PDFs (using StarOffice/OpenOffice.org) and they render perfectly on my reader and look exactly the way that I want. With other formats (like RTF and EPUB) I've found it difficult to get something as basic as having a desired font type (not a specific font but just serif, san-serif, or monospace) appear consistently in my ebooks.

When it comes to PDFs, I tend to avoid any that are not formatted for the device I'm going to reader it on. For example, I find it easier to read PDFs that are formatted for standard typing paper (8.5 inches by 11 inches) on paper rather than reading them on any screen.

One way to improve people's experience with PDFs is to offer different versions of the same ebook, each formatted for a different screen size. Users can then pick the PDF appropriate for their ereader.