View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #397
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thats got nothing to do with it, Harry. Its a power trip. The leaders can dictate what you do and do not believe, how you live, etc.

Just like any dictator.
Sigh, you know, while I am sure that there are some who seek power for its own sake, and most of those who have power might well enjoy its use, I think it is very dangerous to believe that those who do wield power wield it arbitrarily.

Many dictators, especially religious dictators really truly believe what they preach. It is often that belief that encourages their quest for power in the first place.

The simple fact of the matter is that many Christians, especially Christian fundamentalists use an older definition of magic that essentially was built around bargaining with supernatural powers for power. Such definitions existed for centuries. From the Christian perspective, that sort of magic certainly would be a threat. Unfortunately the definition of what is and what is not magic has changed radically over the past several decades. What Harry Potter uses could have been labeled super powers or psionics and in many respects the story would have been little different, but the use of the term magic (and particularly the term witches which also implies pacts with supernatural powers in older definitions ... sorry if I offend any wicca here, but that is what it essentially was prior to 1900) can certainly be upsetting to some Christians.

Now, as a Christian, I think Harry Potter is mostly harmless fun (though as with many things, there are some who take it way too seriously), but I think it would be a mistake to simply dismiss the concerns of other Christians as a "Power Trip"

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote