View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
For me, it's never too quiet. I hear basically everything, including the hum of light bulbs.
^^^This exactly. I can hear the hum of virtually anything electric, and it all drives me mad.

But while I prefer quiet while I'm reading, and while writing things such as lengthy posts or reviews, I'm more like CRussel above when it comes to writing fiction. Most of my characters have their own playlists; I'll use headphones when writing in public and my office stereo when at home. And usually, it's pretty loud.

The only rationale I can give is this: if my environment is too loud, I can't hear myself think. If I'm writing fiction, the last thing I *want* is to hear myself think, because that drowns out what my characters want to convey. But when I'm reading, I want my mind freed to work through the nuances of the words I'm taking in. Consequently, I prefer to read in silence, or as close to it as I can get.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote