View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
True, but you do have preconceptions about people you know, especially if you have a slightly unusual worldview (which would be the only point of using first person). It's when they stray away from the narrator's expectations that this would come into play.

So in frahse's example above, with the wife reading a book it would make sense for the narration (from the man's perspective) say "Dang ho's pretending to read a book so she don't got to make my dinner." The reader couldl make their own mind up, but if it's told by the man it would be the way he sees things/people.

But I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think there was a problem with it myself...
"Hey man, it's a helluva lot worst than that. She reads these women's magazines. All a sudden, she's got questions about where OUR moneys going! About the future! Holy Hell, I don't need no bitching. I work every day. I got stresses!"

Actually wasn't wife, just live with long term girlfriend, but wife could work too. The point is, he wants her flat, to service a few simple purposes. To look good, bring in a paycheck, be good in bed, and otherwise keep quiet and not bother him. No need for her to be any more than that, to become a real person. That puts a load on him he doesn't want.
So basically the lady is trying to become 3 dimensional and that is a problem and this is not unusual by any count.

"That's right. I got stresses."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote