View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #47
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
Anyone remember the Ace books from the 60's with the bound in full color cigarette advertisements? When did Ace give up on this anyway? I know I used to tear them out and throw them away.

Greg Weeks
I think a lot of folks here nostalgically dream of a past where there were never any filthy ads to sully the purity of the sacred novel reading experience. Of course , if you look at the past, you'll find that novels were published in serials in magazines that, by gum, had ads all over them- even the most sacred novels of the past.

Isaac Asimov's " Foundation"? Published in a magazine with ads in them.
Robert Heinlein's " If This Goes On?" Published in a magazine with ads in them.
Harry Harrison's "Deathworld?" Published- well, you get the idea .

Go back to the 19th Century, and you'll find that fusty classics like "Crime and Punishment" and " A Study in Scarlet" were originally published in magazines with ads. You might want to look at the cover of that magazine HERE.

Now, if people are viscerally opposed to ads in ebooks, well I understand that. But " I don't like ads in ebooks, no matter what!" is a long way from "Ads in ebooks are impossible" or even economically infeasible.

Well, anyway, let's remember that this is one IP lawyer's opinion. Lots of experts share his opinion, but still....
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote