View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Personally, in everyday conversation, I would always say "twenty five to six" (or similar). 5:35 sounds a bit formal to my ear.
I had though "five thirty five" would seem less formal.

In the States, I have heard "quarter of six" but it's rare and pretty much archaic now vs. five-forty-five.

Another one that's U. K. specific is "It's gone seven!" (U. S. = "It's after seven!")

If you're scheduling say a dentist apppointment, would you expect the receptionist to say, "On that date I have something open at twenty past six?" Here you'd likely get " ... I can do six twenty"
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote